5 Facts you should know about Rekha!
We just learned that Rekha has been nominated to the Rajya Sabha, and that the actress has accepted her nomination. As the Bollywood diva moves on to yet another productive phase of her life, here are 5 important facts that you should know about this gorgeous actress!
1. Rekha was born on October 10, 1954 in Chennai as Bhanurekha Ganesan. Rekha started her career in 1966 as a child actress in the Telugu movie Rangula Ratnam, though her film debut as a lead happened four years later with Sawan Bhadon (1970).
2. This was an actress who had a pretty slow start when it came to recognition. Despite the success of several of her early films, she was often criticized for her looks . Since the late 1970s, after undertaking a physical transformation, she has been featured as a sex symbol!
3. Rekha has acted in over 180 films in a career spanning over 40 years. Throughout her career, she has often played strong female characters and, apart from mainstream cinema, appeared in arthouse films, known in India as parallel cinema.
4. She has won three Filmfare Awards, two for Best Actress and one for Best Supporting Actress, for her roles in Khubsoorat (1980), Khoon Bhari Maang (1988) and Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi (1996), respectively. Her portrayal of a classical courtesan in Umrao Jaan (1981) won her the National Film Award for Best Actress.The songs in the film remain evergreen even in 2012.
5. Rekha has often been compared to Greta Garbo, and has been cited by media as her Indian equivalent. She currently lives in her Bandra home in Mumbai.