Happy Mother’s Day: A Tribute to 5 Screen Moms!
On the second Sunday of May, every year, Mother’s Day is observed as a celebration that honors mothers and motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society. On this very special day, Balcony Beats pays tribute to five screen mothers who are adored for the mom roles that they have essayed to perfection!
1. Kaviyoor Ponnamma: Easily one of the most respectable actresses we have had in Malayalam films, Kaviyoor Ponnamma has played mother to almost every actor in Malayalam films. She is the one figure that immediately comes to mind, when you spell the word M-O-T-H-E-R in Malayalam films.
2. Nirupa Roy: The actress who had essayed mother roles in so many Hindi films, so much so that there is an evergreen film quote that has been credited to her – “Mere Paas Maa Hain!”. Her acting career spanned more than 50 years, and she acted in more than 250 films.
3. Reema Lagoo: The Marathi actress who is seen as the ideal mom in several Hindi films, is more accomplished as a stage actress. However her performance in films like ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’ made her a much loved mom in no time. She is often seen as the icon of Indian motherhood.
4. Manorama: The veteran Tamil actress who is one of the most versatile actors we have ever had, is as much renowned as a comedienne and for other roles, as she is as a screen mother. She has played mother to several actors, and has played each one of those roles to perfection.
5. Jaya Bachchan: The new age mother, who sprang to life in films like ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham’, Jaya Bachchan has been motherhood personified in films in which she got to play mommy. As an actress who has aged gracefully, Jaya’s transformation into a screen mom of immense stature has been truly stunning.
We are sure the list is by no means exhaustive. Feel free to add your favorites to the list. Balcony Beats wishes each mother in this world heartfelt Mother’s Day Wishes, and thanks each one of them for being very special to their children!
Happy Mother’s Day!
Tags: Mother's Day